Past Grant Recipients
Fall 2016 Grant Cycle
- Arts Council of Big Sky – $3,500- ARTventure program in BSSD
- Big Sky Community Organization – $3,500 – Funding for a new yurt to expand Camp Big Sky
- Big Sky Discovery Academy/ Community Learning Center – $6,000 – Homework Help, College Prep and ESL
- Big Sky School District – $10,000 – ARTSplot/ Art education funding
- Gallatin River Task Force/Gallatin/Big Sky Weed Committee – $4,000 – Clean Drain Dry project
- Jack Creek Preserve Foundation – $7,500 – Funding for the MSU/Jack Creek Research and Outreach Partnership
- Montana Land Reliance – $6,000 – Funding for community outreach and education
* MCF sponsored a “Music in the Mountains” concert – Arts Council of Big Sky – $3,500
* MCF funded interpretive signs for the Hummocks and Uplands trails with Big Sky Community Organization
* MCF established (through Friends of Big Sky Education) a $2,000 Lee Poole Memorial Scholarship for a graduating LPHS senior – preferably going to a student attending a trade or vocational school
Spring 2016 Grant Awards
HATCH – hatchexperience.org
Hatch Experience Scholarships – $12,500
Hatch NEXTGen Lab – $7,000
Hatch Ostinato Music Project – $10,000
Warren Miller Performing Arts Center – warrenmillerpac.org
Big Sky Conservancy – $6,000
Gallatin-Big Sky Weed Committee – bigskyweeds.org
Play Clean Go Initiative – $6,000
Gallatin River Task Force – gallatinrivertaskforce.org
Moose Creek Interpretive Sign – $6,000
Big Sky School District – bssd72.org
TV/Film/Photography equipment – $4,000
Camp Moonlight – campmoonlightmt.com
Camp Moonlight Scholarships – $11,000
Our History and Initial Projects
We began informally in 2011, and in July 2014, the IRS determined that we are exempt from Federal Income Tax under section 501(c)3. We are qualified to receive tax deductible gifts under section 2055, 2106 or 2522 of the Code.
Thanks to the support of our generous donors, we have two continuing projects. The first is to add educational signs to public hiking trails (similar to the sign above). Currently, five signs are installed on the Ulery’s Loop Trail in Big Sky. In 2015, we are partnering with Big Sky Community Corporation to design, purchase and install 3 new trail signs on their Hummocks and Uplands Trails in Big Sky.
The second, more significant project, is to support an educational and nature-based camp that Moonlight Basin launched as a pilot in the summer of 2013 and continued in the summers of 2014 & 2015. Camp Moonlight is a summer camp for children ages 3-15, and the Moonlight Community Foundation sponsors campers from the greater Big Sky area to attend camp. The Foundation also provides educational staffing/programs and camp equipment to ensure an educational experience for the campers. Look for photos of last year’s happy campers on the “Camp Moonlight-2014” page of this website.
In 2015, we have also provided donations to the elementary school library, the high school football program, and we are planning to support a “Reach Out and Read” program at the new Big Sky Medical Center. We are also an Event Sponsor for the 2015 Women in Action Golf Tournament.